|1⁄2 pound||ground beef, lean|
|1 can||kidney beans (15 1/2 ounce, - drain and save liquid)|
|1⁄3 cup||bean liquid|
|1 cup||tomato puree (canned)|
|1 tablespoon||onion (minced)|
|1 1⁄2 tablespoon||chili powder|
|8 ounces||whole kernel corn (canned, not drained)|
|1⁄2 cup||yellow cornmeal|
|1 1⁄4 cup||cold water|
|1⁄8 teaspoon||chili powder|
1. Cook beef in hot skillet until lightly browned. Drain off fat.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Prepare Tamale Pie:
1. Place chili in a 10-inch skillet. Stir in corn. Heat thoroughly.
2. As chili heats, mix cornmeal and salt with water in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes.
3. Spread cornmeal mixture over hot chili to form a crust. Sprinkle with chili powder.
4. Cover and cook over low heat, with lid slightly ajar, until topping is set, about 10 minutes.
Per recipe: $3.50
Per serving: $0.87
University of Illinois, Extension Service, Wellness Ways Resource Book