20-Minute Chicken Creole
1 tablespoon vegetable oil 2 chicken breast (whole, skinless, boneless) 1 can diced tomatoes (14 1/2 oz., with juice) 1 cup chili sauce (low sodium) 1 green pepper (chopped, large) 2 celery ribs (chopped) 1 onion (chopped, small) 2 garlic clove (minced) 1 teaspoon dried basil 1 teaspoon parsley (dried) 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat pan over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add vegetable oil and chicken and cook until no longer pink when cut (3-5 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium (300 degrees in electric skillet).
- Add tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice or whole wheat pasta.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Per recipe: $6.26
Per serving: $0.78
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service, Healthy Recipes