Apple Slice Pancakes
1 Granny Smith apple 1 1⁄4 cup pancake mix (any type) 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon 1 egg 2 teaspoons canola oil 1 cup low-fat milk
- Lightly coat a griddle or skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apple into rings.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients for pancake batter. Stir until ingredients are evenly moist. (Small lumps are ok! Over-mixing makes pancakes tough.)
- For each pancake, place apple ring on griddle and pour about 1/4 cup batter over apple ring, starting in the center and covering the apple.
- Cook until bubbles appear. Turn and cook other side until lightly brown.
Per recipe: $1.41
Per serving: $0.24
Kansas Family Nutrition Program, Kids a Cookin’
To test the griddle to see if it is hot, sprinkle it with a few drops of water. When the drops sizzle and dance, you are ready to cook! The easiest way to pour the batter onto the hot griddle is to use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for each pancake. If the first pancake is too brown, lower the heat.