1 cup sugar 1⁄2 cup margarine (or butter or shortening) 1 egg 2 teaspoons baking soda 2 1⁄2 cups flour (all purpose) 1⁄2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 1⁄2 cup applesauce, unsweetened 1 cup raisins 1 cup nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare pan or cookie sheet (see below).
2. Cream together sugar, shortening and egg.
3. In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
4. Stir flour mixture into shortening mixture just until moist.
5. Add applesauce, raisins, and nuts.
For Cookies: Drop dough by heaping teaspoon several inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
For Cake: Bake at 350 degrees in an 8 inch x 8 inch pan for 40 minutes.
Per recipe: $2.85
Per serving: $0.24
Montana State University Extension Service, Montana Extension Nutrition Education Program
To check cake for doneness, pierce top of cake with a toothpick. Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean.
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.