Applesauce Loaf Cake
1⁄2 cup walnuts (chopped) 1 1⁄2 cup applesauce 1 egg 1 cup sugar 2 tablespoons oil 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups flour (all purpose) 2 teaspoons baking soda 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground) 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground) 1 cup raisins
1. Wash hands well with soap and warm water.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 (8x4x2 inch) loaf pans.
3. Toast walnuts in an ungreased skillet pan. Stir while heating on medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes. They are done when they are brown and smell nutty. Set aside to cool.
4. Mix applesauce, egg, sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl.
5. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a smaller bowl.
6. Pour flour mixture into applesauce mixture.
7. Stir in raisins and cooled toasted nuts.
8. Pour half of the batter into each greased pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes.
9. Remove cakes from the oven. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans to finish cooling. For best taste, let cakes cool a few hours before serving.
Per recipe: $3.09
Per serving: $0.19
Rutgers Cooperative Extension, Food Wise Learn at Home Print Materials