1 1⁄2 cup navy, kidney or lima beans (dry, sorted and rinsed) 2 cups water 2 cups apple juice 1 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons molasses 1⁄2 cup ketchup 2 teaspoons vinegar 1 teaspoon mustard, dried
1. Combine apple juice and water. Bring to a boil.
2. Add beans and simmer for 2 1/2 hours until beans are tender.
3. Drain beans, reserve the liquid.
4. Put beans and other ingredients in greased baking dish.
5. Cover and bake at 250° for 3 to 4 hours.
6. Uncover the last hour of baking and add some reserved liquid if beans become dry.
Per recipe: $1.58
Per serving: $0.26
Washington State WIC Program, The Bold and Beautiful Book of Bean Recipes