1 egg 2 tablespoons sugar 1 cup skim milk or reconstituted nonfat dry milk 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1. Beat egg and sugar together in a saucepan.
2. Add milk.
3. Place saucepan with egg/milk mixture in another pan containing 1-2 inches boiling water.
4. Stir custard constantly while cooking. Cook until foam disappears and custard coats the spoon. Remove from heat.
5. Add flavoring and stir. Pour into individual dishes and cool in the refrigerator. Custard will be soft.
1. Beat together egg and sugar in a baking dish.
2. Add milk and flavorings. Mix thoroughly.
3. Set baking dish in a shallow pan of hot water.
4. Bake at 350 degrees until the tip of a knife inserted in the center of the custard comes out clean (50-60 minutes). Do not overcook. Eat warm or refrigerate for later.
Per recipe: $0.41
Per serving: $0.10
Michigan State University Cooperative Extension Service, Eating Right is Basic
Nutrition Education Program
An additional egg can be added during step #1.