Brag About it Bread Bake
6 slices bread (cubed, approximately 6 cups) 1 1⁄2 cup broccoli (frozen, chopped and cooked) 1 cup cheese, shredded low-fat cheddar 1 tablespoon onion (minced, optional*) 1 cup chicken, skinless (diced, cooked) 3 egg 4 egg whites 2 cups nonfat milk
1. Place half the bread in a well greased 9x9 inch pan.
2. Top with broccoli, cheese, onion and meat.
3. Place remaining bread on top.
4. In a bowl, mix eggs and milk.
5. Pour egg mixture over bread in pan.
6. Cover. Refrigerate overnight or at least 1 hour.
7. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until center is firm and lightly browned.
*used in analysis
Per recipe: $6.11
Per serving: $1.02
University of Wisconsin, Cooperative Extension Service, "Bread" Fact Sheet
A Family Living Program
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.