Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
1 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon margarine 5 slices whole wheat bread 3 egg 1⁄3 cup sugar 1 pinch salt (of) 2 cups nonfat milk 1 teaspoon vanilla 1⁄4 cup raisins 1 teaspoon cinnamon (and/or nutmeg) 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1⁄3 cup sugar 1 tablespoon margarine (or butter)
1. Melt margarine in medium size skillet.
2. Tear bread in pieces and spread on bottom of skillet.
3. Beat eggs and stir in sugar, salt, warmed milk and vanilla. Sprinkle raisins over bread and pour egg mixture over all.
4. Cover and cook over very low heat for 20 minutes.
5. Pudding is done when custard is set in the middle.
6. Allow to cool in the skillet.
7. Prepare vanilla sauce while pudding cools.
8. Combine cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan. Gradually add water, stirring well.
9. Cook until thick and clear, stirring constantly.
10. Add margarine and vanilla, stirring until margarine melts.
11. Spoon over individual servings of bread pudding.
12. Refrigerate leftover bread pudding and vanilla sauce within two hours.
Per recipe: $2.39
Per serving: $0.40
Washington State University Extension, Favorite Recipes for Family Meals