1 chicken (fryer, cut into pieces, skin and fat removed) 1⁄4 cup water 1⁄4 cup chili powder 1 teaspoon oregano 1 teaspoon cocoa 10 tablespoons flour 1 teaspoon pepper 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 cup water 1 tablespoon peanut butter (creamy) 5 cups water
1. Place chicken in a large pot with the 1/4 cup of water. Cover and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, mix chili powder, oregano, cocoa, flour (1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons), pepper, and garlic powder along with 1 cup of water.
3. Add mixture from step 2 to chicken in pot, mix well.
4. Add peanut butter and 5 cups of water to chicken in pot; mix well.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to medium. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
7. Stir and serve immediately.
Per recipe: $6.62
Per serving: $1.10
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service, Pictoral Recipes
Lynn Myers Steele, 2000
Oregon Family Nutrition Program
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.