Chicken Pozole Soup
1 chicken (whole, - skinned and cut into pieces) 8 cups water 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped) 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper 1⁄4 cup chili powder 8 ounces tomato sauce (canned) 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (dried) 2 cans hominy, white or yellow (15 ounce, rinsed and drained) 3 cups iceberg lettuce (shredded) 6 lime wedges
1. Put chicken pieces in a large pot and cover with the 8 cups of water. Simmer over medium heat for 1 hour.
2. Add the chopped onion, pepper, chili powder, tomato sauce, and oregano to simmering chicken.
3. After the chicken is thoroughly cooked take the pieces out of the pot and remove most of the bones from the chicken and the pot.
4. Return chicken to the pot.
5. Add the rinsed hominy to the pot of chicken and simmer for another 45 minutes.
6. Serve with lettuce and a wedge of lime.
Per recipe: $7.90
Per serving: $1.32
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service, Pictoral Recipes
Lynn Myers Steele, 2000
Oregon Family Nutrition Program
To make even healthier, use tomato sauce with no added salt.