Chicken, Rice and Fruit Salad
1 cup brown or white rice, cooked 2 teaspoons parsley, dried (or 2 Tablespoons fresh, finely chopped) 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (ground) 1⁄4 clove garlic (finely chopped) 1 tablespoon Ranch dressing, fat-free 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, fat-free 1 cup apple or cantaloupe (cut into chunks) 1⁄3 cup grape halves (red or purple, cut into chunks) 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped) 1 1⁄4 cup chicken, cooked (cut into bite-size pieces) 6 lettuce leaves
1. Wash your hands and work area.
2. If not using leftover or "planned over" rice - cook rice according to package directions without adding salt. Chill.
3. In a serving bowl, mix parsley, black pepper, garlic, dressing, and mayonnaise together.
4. Add cooled rice, apple, grapes, celery, and chicken. Stir gently.
5. Serve cold on a bed of clean lettuce leaves, if desired.
6. Cover and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Per recipe: $3.59
Per serving: $1.20
Kansas State University Research and Extension, Fix it Fresh! Recipe Series
A child could wash the fruit and help remove the seeds.