Chicken Spanish Rice
1⁄2 cup onion (chopped) 1⁄2 cup green pepper (chopped) 1⁄3 cup celery (sliced) 1⁄2 cup rice (uncooked) 1 teaspoon vegetable oil 1 can tomatoes (16 oz) 1 1⁄2 cup chicken (canned) 3⁄4 cups water 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
1. Cook onion, green pepper, celery, and rice in vegetable oil at medium heat in a large saucepan until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Drain tomatoes and save the liquid.
3. Chop tomatoes into small pieces.
4. Add tomatoes, liquid, chicken, water, chili powder, and pepper to rice mixture.
5. Bring to a boil and stir. Cover and cook on low heat. Cook until rice is tender (about 25 minutes).
Per recipe: $4.94
Per serving: $1.24
USDA, FNS, Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, Healthy Eating in Indian Country: Exercise