1 cup cornmeal 1 cup flour (all purpose) 2 tablespoons sugar 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 egg 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil 1 cup skim-milk
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 8- or 9-inch square pan.
2. Measure cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine ingredients.
3. Crack egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork to combine white and yolk.
4. Add egg, oil, and milk to flour mixture. Mix until ingredients are well blended.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until firm to touch or wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Buttermilk Corn Bread. Use only 2 teaspoons baking powder and add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Substitute 1 cup buttermilk for skim milk.
Whole Wheat Corn Bread. Use 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
Corny Corn Bread. Add 1 cup kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned, well drained) with the milk.
Cheesy Corn Bread. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese with the milk.
Chili Cheese Corn Bread. Add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder to the flour mixture. Drain one 4-ounce can chopped green chilies. Add chilies and 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese with the milk.
Blueberry Corn Bread. Fold 1 cup blueberries (fresh, frozen, or canned, well drained) into the batter.
Corn Bread Muffins. Pour batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
Per recipe: $1.12
Per serving: $0.09
Cornell Cooperative Extension, Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cooking Up Fun - Muffins & More