Farmers Market Gazpacho
2 cucumbers (diced into 1/4 inch pieces) 3 red bell peppers (seeded and diced into 1/4 inch pieces) 3 green peppers (seeded and diced into 1/4 inch pieces) 4 celery stalks (diced into 1/4 inch pieces) 2 tomatoes (diced into 1/4 inch pieces) 1 onion (medium, diced into 1/4 inch pieces) 2 lemons 2 cups tomato juice, low-sodium 3 garlic cloves (fresh minced) 1 tablespoon cumin (ground) 1 cup cilantro (fresh chopped) salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Combine all ingredients except salt, pepper and lemons in a bowl.
2. Remove 2 cups of the mixture and reserve.
3. Using a blender or food processor, puree the remaining mixture in the bowl.
4. Add 2 cups of reserved mixture to the pureed mixture.
5. Season with salt, pepper (optional) and the juice from the lemons.
6. Cover mixture and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
7. Serve cold, garnished with chopped cilantro.
Per recipe: $7.00
Per serving: $1.75
Johnson and Wales University and
Rhode Island Department of Health WIC Program, Veggin’ Out Recipe Book, page 42
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.