10 cups whole wheat bread cubes (or white bread or buns, dry) 1⁄3 cup water 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped) 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped) 1 teaspoon parsley, dried (or 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped) 1⁄4 teaspoon salt 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper 1 1⁄2 cup milk 1 egg (lightly beaten) 2 apple (medium, pared, cored and chopped, or 1/4 cup raisins optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put cubes in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Put water in medium saucepan. Add onion, celery, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Do not drain. Pour over bread cubes.
4. Stir in milk and egg. Gently stir in apples, and raisins, if desired.
5. Spoon into a greased 2-quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Per recipe: $3.13
Per serving: $0.39
University of Wisconsin, Cooperative Extension Service, A Family Living Program
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.