Hearty Mashed Potatoes
2 pounds potatoes (baking, - peeled and cut in chunks) 1 can garbanzo beans (15 ounce, drained) 3⁄4 cups nonfat milk (or fortified soy milk) 1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder black pepper (to taste)
1. Place the potatoes in a large sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to a simmer.
2. Add the garbanzo beans 10 minutes after potatoes start cooking. Continue cooking until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Drain water and place the sauce pan back on the stove. Mash the beans and potatoes using a potato masher or hand beaters.
4. Add the milk, cheese and seasonings.
5. Reheat if necessary. Serve hot.
Per recipe: $3.00
Per serving: $0.50
Food and Health Communications, Inc., Cooking Demo II
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.