2 cups flour (all purpose) 2 teaspoons baking powder 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda 1⁄4 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons sugar 2⁄3 cups buttermilk (low-fat) 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
3. In small bowl, stir together buttermilk and oil.
4. Pour over flour mixture and stir until well mixed.
5. On lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10–12 strokes.
6. Roll or pat dough to ¾-inch thickness.
7. Cut with a 2-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, dipping cookie cutter in flour between cuts.
8. Transfer biscuits to an ungreased baking sheet.
9. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Serve warm.
Per recipe: $0.65
Per serving: $0.04
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.