Indian Vegetable and Rice Skillet Meal
2 teaspoons vegetable oil 1 onion (chopped) 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin 2 cups mixed vegetables (chopped cauliflower, peppers, carrots, or peas) 1 baking potato (large) 1 cup white rice (uncooked) 2 1⁄2 cups water 1 can kidney beans (15 ounces, drained, rinsed) 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion, ginger, turmeric, and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
3. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
4. Simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
5. Refrigerate leftovers with in 2-3 hours.
Per recipe: $5.96
Per serving: $0.60
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service, Healthy Recipes
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.