Italian Bean Patties
2 cups beans (cooked) 1 egg (beaten) 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning 1 cup bread crumbs (dry, or cracker crumbs) 2 tablespoons cornmeal (or all purpose flour) 2 tablespoons vegetable-oil
1. In a large bowl, mash beans. Add egg and spices and stir to mix evenly.
2. Stir in bread crumbs. If mixture seems too wet add more breadcrumbs, 1 Tablespoon at a time until mixture resembles meatloaf.
3. Shape into little sausages or patties. Roll in cornmeal or flour.
4. Fry slowly in vegetable oil over medium heat until crusty and golden brown.
Per recipe: $1.43
Per serving: $0.18
Montana State University Extension Service, Montana Extension Nutrition Education Program
• Serve in place of hamburgers and add toppings
• Serve in place of breakfast sausage