Mock Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Crust: 1 1⁄4 cup flour (all purpose) 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar 1⁄3 cup milk, non-fat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Filling: 1⁄4 cup sugar (white) 1⁄4 cup brown sugar 1⁄2 teaspoon salt 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg 3 egg (large, beaten) 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk, non-fat (canned) 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, skin removed and mashed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl.
2. Add milk and oil to the flour mixture.
3. Stir with fork until well mixed and then form pastry into a smooth ball with your hands.
4. Roll the ball between two 12 inch squares of waxed paper using short, brisk, strokes until pastry reaches edge of paper.
5. Peel off top paper and invert crust into pie plate.
1. Combine sugars, salt, spices and eggs.
2. Add milk and vanilla. Stir.
3. Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
4. Pour mixture into pie shell.
5. Bake for 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
6. Cool and cut into 16 slices.
Per recipe: $2.76
Per serving: $0.17
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style, p.24-25
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.