Oat Snack Cakes
6 cups oatmeal (raw) 2 cups whole wheat flour 1 cup flour (all purpose) 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon baking soda 1⁄2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon 3⁄4 cups margarine (softened) 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring 2 egg whites (beaten) 1 tablespoon water 1 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together oatmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
2. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Combine oil, vanilla, egg whites, and water. Stir into dry ingredients and rasins, mixing only until it holds together.
4. Wash hands thoroughly, then dip in cornmeal or flour. Pinch off pieces of dough and form into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
5. Place balls on baking pan (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) and press out slightly to about 1/4 inch in thickness.
6. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool, then store in an airtight container.
Per recipe: $3.44
Per serving: $0.06
Virginia Cooperative Extension, Healthy Futures