Old Fashioned Dressing
4 tablespoons margarine or butter 2 cups celery (diced) 1 cup onion (chopped) 8 cups bread cubes, dried from whole wheat bread 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped fresh or dried) 1⁄4 cup mushroom (sliced) 1 teaspoon sage (ground) 3⁄4 teaspoons poultry seasoning 1 teaspoon black pepper 3 cups broth, chicken or turkey
1. Toast bread cubes and set aside for later use.
2. Melt margarine or butter in medium size fry pan.
3. Add celery and onion; cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Add parsley, mushrooms, seasoning and broth. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add the toasted bread cubes. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Per recipe: $4.29
Per serving: $0.43
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service, Pictoral Recipes
Lynn Myers Steele, 2000
Oregon Family Nutrition Program
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.