Yield Cooking time 20 minutes Total time 20 minutes
1⁄2 pound ground beef 1 can kidney beans (15 1/2 ounces, with liquid) 1 cup tomato sauce, no salt added 1 tablespoon onion, instant minced 1 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
1. Thoroughly cook ground beef in skillet until browned (160 degrees). Be sure all pink color is gone from meat and juices. Do not undercook ground beef. Carefully wash your hands and any surfaces that have come in contact with raw meat.
2. Drain off fat into container.
3. Stir in kidney beans with liquid, tomato sauce, onion, and chili powder.
4. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers within 2 hours of cooking. Use refrigerated leftovers within 4 days.
Per recipe: $3.39
Per serving: $0.85
University of Minnesota, Cooperative Extension Service, Simply Good Eating Recipe Cards, Vol. 1, 2000