Red Beans and Rice
1 pound red beans, dry 8 cups water 1 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped) 1 cup celery (chopped) 4 bay leaves 3 tablespoons garlic (chopped) 3 tablespoons parsley (chopped) 2 teaspoons thyme (crushed, dried) 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon black pepper 1 cup green pepper (chopped)
1. Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Rinse beans thoroughly.
2. In a 5-quart pot, mix beans, water, onion, celery and bay leaves. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
3. Cover and cook over low heat for about 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir and mash beans against side of pan.
4. Add garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, black pepper, and green pepper.
5. Cook uncovered, over low heat, until creamy, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Per recipe: $3.42
Per serving: $0.43