1 1⁄2 cup dry pinto beans (sorted and rinsed) 2 garlic (cloves, minced) 1 tablespoon oil 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped) 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cook beans and reserve some of the cooking liquid before draining.
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil until onions become clear. Add a little water if vegetables stick.
- Mash half of the beans, and add to onion and garlic. Continue to sauté for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow some of the mashed beans to brown.
- Add cumin. Add remaining beans and continue cooking until they are warmed through.
- Water or liquid from beans may be added to keep the beans soft and mushy.
Per recipe: $0.82
Per serving: $0.14
Washington State WIC Program, The Bold and Beautiful Book of Bean Recipes