Spicy Carrots and Squash
2 cups carrots, cut into 2 inch sticks 1 1⁄2 cup squash, cut into 2 inch sticks 1 teaspoon vinegar 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, fat free 1 teaspoon brown sugar 1 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon or spicy mustard
1. Wash, peel and cut carrots. Wash and cut up squash.
2. Combine carrots and broth in saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes.
3. Add squash and cook 5 more minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add more broth,if necessary, to keep from burning.
4. Stir vinegar, brown sugar and mustard into vegetables.
5. Cook for a few minutes over medium heat until most of the liquid cooks off.
Per recipe: $1.17
Per serving: $0.29
Connecticut Food Policy Council, Farm Fresh Summer Recipes