Tasty Fish and Veggie Packets
Yield Prep time 15 minutes Cooking time 12 minutes Total time 27 minutes
4 cod fillets (4 ounce each, can also use tilapia, sole, hake, flounder, or other white fish) 1⁄4 red onion (or scallions) 1 carrot 1 red pepper 1 celery stalk 1⁄2 zucchini (optional) 2 Roma tomatoes (optional) 1⁄2 fennel (1/2 bulb) 1 clove garlic 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped) thyme (fresh springs, optional) basil (chopped, optional) ginger (minced, optional) 2 teaspoons olive oil 4 teaspoons lemon juice 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste, optional) 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut four large rectangles of parchment paper or aluminum foil and fold in half; unfold.
3. Put each fish fillet in a large square of parchment paper and season with salt and pepper.
4. Top fish with your choice of vegetables and seasonings.
5. Drizzle each packet with ½ teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
6. Fold the parchment paper or foil in half and then crimp around the edges tightly in 1/4-inch folds to create a half moon shape.
7. Using a spatula, transfer the packets to a baking sheet. Bake until the fish is cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F, about 10-12 minutes, depending the thickness of the fish.
Note: Optional ingredients are not included in the nutrient or cost analysis.
Per recipe: $8.13
Per serving: $2.03
Food and Nutrition Information Center
For a video demonstration of the preparation of this recipe, see:
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.