Tomato Basil Soup
1 onion (medium, chopped) 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 garlic clove (crushed, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder) 1 can tomatoes (15 1/2 ounce, drained and chopped) 1 pinch red pepper (ground) 1 teaspoon basil (dried) 2⁄3 cups non-fat dry milk (NDM) (+ 2 cups water or substitute 2 cups nonfat milk for the reconstituted NDM) salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
1. In a medium saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add chopped tomatoes.
3. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Spoon 3/4 of mixture into food processor or blender container; puree until smooth. Return to saucepan.
5. Add red pepper, basil, and reconstitute NDM to the soup. Heat until hot but do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper (optional). Serve immediately.
Per recipe: $1.45
Per serving: $0.36
USDA Food and Nutrition Service, USDA’s Collection of Nonfat Dry Milk (NDM) Recipes
Food Distribution Service
Find tips and resources for safe food handling and proper cooking temperature guidance.