Yield Cooking time 25 minutes Total time 25 minutes
12 flour or corn tortillas (small) vegetable oil or margarine 1 can refried beans (16 ounce) 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped) 2 ounces fresh or canned green chili peppers (diced) 6 tablespoons red taco sauce 3 cups vegetables, such as broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, and red bell pepper (chopped) 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded part-skim mozzarella 1⁄2 cup cilantro (chopped, fresh)
1. Brush one side of each of two tortillas with water. Press the wet sides of the tortillas together to form a thick crust for the pizza.
2. Brush the outside of the tortillas with a small amount of oil or margarine. Evenly brown both sides in a heated frying pan. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Set aside.
3. Heat refried beans, onion, and half of the chili peppers together in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
4. Spread about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on each tortilla pizza. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon taco sauce, then top with 1/2 cup of the chopped vegetables, 1 teaspoon chili peppers, and 1 Tablespoon cheese for each pizza.
5. Return to frying pan and heat until cheese melts. Top with cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
Per recipe: $4.42
Per serving: $0.74
California Department of Health Services, Healthy Latino Recipes Made with Love
California Latino 5-A-Day Campaign