2 cups cooked turkey (cut into bite-size pieces, or 2 cups ground turkey, browned in a skillet and drained) 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (chili) 1 1⁄2 cup water 4 corn tortillas 1⁄4 cup refried beans (low-fat or fat-free) 1⁄4 cup Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (shredded, low-fat) 1⁄2 cup tomatoes (chopped) 1⁄2 cup lettuce (shredded) 2 tablespoons onion (chopped) 1⁄2 cup taco sauce plain yogurt (low-fat or fat-free optional) guacamole (or mashed avacado optional)
1. Wash and prepare vegetables.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine turkey, taco seasoning, and water.
3. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Place tortillas on a cooking sheet. Bake at 375° for 4-7 minutes or until tortillas are crispy.
5. Spread tortillas with a tablespoon of beans. Top with 1/4 meat mixture and cheese.
6. Return tortillas to oven to cook for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
7. Top with tomatoes, lettuce, onions and taco sauce. Garnish with yogurt and guacamole, if desired.
Per recipe: $3.56
Per serving: $0.89
UMass Extension Nutrition Education Program, CHOICES Steps Toward Health
Recipe analysis includes light meat turkey without skin.