3 cups water 1 vegetable bouillon (low sodium, cube) 2 cups white potatoes (cut into 2-inch strips) 2 cups carrot (sliced) 4 cups summer squash (cut into1-inch chunks) 1 cup summer squash (cut into 4 chunks) 1 can sweet corn (15 ounces, rinsed and drained) 1 teaspoon thyme 2 garlic (cloves, minced) 1 green onion (stalk, chopped) 1⁄2 green chile pepper (small, chopped) 1 cup onion (coarsley chopped) 1 cup tomatoes (diced)
1. Put water and bouillon in large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add potatoes and carrots and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except for tomatoes, and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
4. Remove 4 chunks of squash and puree in blender.
5. Return pureed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more.
6. Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes to allow stew to thicken.
Per recipe: $4.20
Per serving: $0.52
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style